Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Airfare

Yesterday was so crazy!!!

Let me start at the beginning.

Our airfare and travel plans have been a big pain in the butt this whole time. Luckily, Leah took charge of that aspect of the planning (otherwise I would have gone insane.)

So we got a deal with United Airlines for round trip tickets from Las Vegas to Austin, Texas then on to Belize. Unfortunately they are $809.15 each. Individually we could have found cheaper, but I would rather pay a little extra to travel with the group and not risk losing someone on the way to Belize.

Knowing our luck, one of our adventurers would end up waylaid in a Michigan motel without a cellphone charger and only one bar left on the battery (which happened to me once, lovely story for another time).

Of course, to be difficult, they require that we ALL have to be together to pay for our tickets on the phone at the same time. One after the other. Getting at least 12 women together during summer break to pay at the same time is about as fun as herding cats.

Once we got settled in, the first airline representative basically told us we needed to call back in 3-5 days and for us to screw off (conveniently, she wouldn't let us speak to her manager either.) When we called back we got someone a lot more helpful and Julie worked her magic to get us on the phone with the supervisor.

Side note: I really envy the way Julie handled the situation she was calm, direct, professional, and never a hint of rudeness. Leah was a little too nice, and if I was in that position I would have ended up sounding snobby and pissy. I am a recovering biatch and I've come pretty far, but I still have moments where I inadvertently insult people or roll my eyes or any number of my charming personality quirks.

Two hours later, we had all given our information to the representative and were $809.15 poorer. Success!


No comments:

Post a Comment