Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Arriving Home

So I got home at almost midnight August 2nd. I have spent the last few days scrambling to finish all of my homework for my Cultural Diversity class. I might have started and completed a book report the same day it was due... Thanks Emilio for helping me edit it!

Now I am unpacked and getting back to normal. When I unpacked I could still smell the ocean and sunblock on some of my clothes. I could almost hear the ocean and the chattering of all my friends. I miss Belize so much though. After two weeks there I thought I would be desperate to come home, but it really grew on me and I didn't want to leave. I miss waking up early each morning to freshly squeezed fruit juices to start the day. I miss piling on to the bus with all 19 of us. I miss rooming with Leah and sometimes talking to her at night about high school or our husbands or debating baby names.

This trip really changed my life. Every day was an adventure. I know it sounds cliche but it pushed me past my self-imposed limits. I normally am very shy with new people but I had to introduce myself to strangers all day in another language. I am normally terrified of heights, but I rocked the zip lining and climbed to the top of a (very tall) ancient Mayan temple! I got to be hands on with a variety of patients and educate them, help them, and comfort them.

I still have some posts to write about our last two days in Caye Caulker. Those were our well deserved vacation days and I can't wait to post pictures.

Mostly I miss spending every day doing something amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment