Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Day 11 - last clinic day!!!

So this is our last day of doing clinics and giving patient care. I can't believe we are done! I have become so accustomed to waking up each morning and going to each house in a village and making new friends. 

This day was so hot. Normally there is a cool breeze that keeps the humidity bearable. My patients told me that when a hurricane or a storm is brewing that it takes all the wind away. So no breeze coupled with being in the furthest corner of the building made for a very hot and stuffy day. I hate assessing patients with sweat dripping off my face. 

We were all in a small concrete building that is the community center for the village. The patients waited out on the porch while outside some kids put their foal through paces. 

I met a woman with a three month old today. She is a gorgeous young woman and she has a goiter and hypothyroidism. She also spoke candidly to me about her symptoms of post partum depression. I asked if she had thought of hurting herself or her baby and she told me yes. She moved in with her mother for support during her depression. 

Shannah and I told her that post partum depression is very normal and nothing to be ashamed of. I also reinforced what a smart and responsible move it was to come love with her mom and recognize she needed help. 

The doctor ended up referring her to follow up at the hospital at some point. 

I found it very frustrating that she has such fixable problems that we can't fix! Of she was in the US it would be so easy to prescribe some low dose anti depressant and get some blood work done for her TSH levels. Here though we sent he away with nothing. 

One of my patients was an adorable 11 year old. She was very mature and felt very sick with fever. When I could make her laugh she had the best smile. We drew with crayons while waiting for the doctor. 
As we were packing up for the day, a rain shower started suddenly. We all ended up running out and cooling off in the rain. We also took pictures cause you know we are girls. 
When we arrived at the hotel Leah had an awesome idea for a picture. We ended up lined up along the side of the pool, still wearing out scrubs, and jumping in on the count of three. 
It was crazy and the video was awesome. I want to get am the file from Tracey and post it for everyone to see! 


No comments:

Post a Comment