Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Last Meeting Before Departure

Monday was our last group meeting before the trip. I can't believe it's so close! I'm still in shock that our crazy idea took off; I honestly thought it would be Leah, Tracey, and I and that everyone else would back out or think we are crazy.

Nope! There are 20 of us crazies going to Belize. Twenty! 

I'm so excited to get to know these girls better. Some of my best friends through nursing school are going plus some LPNs and girls from other semesters who I've only met a couple times. Of course I'm bad with faces so I will be trying my best to put names to faces on the trip. Hopefully I don't embarrass myself. 

At the meeting we brought together the supply donations we have for the clinics. We filled up a huge bag already! My mom was great and gave me some sterile gloves and needles. 

So we went over the schedule for the trip. We will be able to work in the local hospital for a day; the rest of the time will be spent doing home visits and working in clinics. 

A lot of my peers expressed reluctance to join us. They didn't see why they should pay so much money to go work. I'm really bummed that they viewed it like that. This is half volunteer work and half educational. Each night is centered on learning about  cultural competency, tropical diseases, emergency medicine and so much more. I really believe I will be a much better nurse at working with patients from all different backgrounds. I want to learn to be flexible as a nurse and to rely on my assessment skills and knowledge instead of fancy tools.  

I am also being an overachiever. I'm enrolled in Culture Diversity in Healthcare right now for my bachelors degree. It is a five week online class; two weeks I will be in Belize. 

The hotel has wifi supposedly but I'm not sure how I will be able to do my assignments. I might end up having to bring my laptop. Unless I want to type my discussion posts on my cellphone! 

While I am there I am also hoping to be able to update my blog with photos and what we did for that day. 

Holy crap, have I mentioned how excited I am?!?!
This is most of our group. We got to use the school lab room for our meeting. You can see the dummies we practice on for nursing school in the background lol!

No comments:

Post a Comment